Friday, April 9, 2010

Power of Information

I've always been of the opinion that information is power. As a type 1 diabetic for nearly 18 years, it's been very important for me to stay on top my condition. Doing so means understand what diabetes is, how it is caused, what the long and short term effects are of high and low blood sugar. Having that information helped me understand the role diabetes would play in my life, and how to best manage and control it. When I see my endocrinologist I need to be able to tell her what my blood sugars have been running at various points in the day (most of those numbers can be taken from my glucose monitor). But just seeing those numbers downloaded from a machine doesn't help anyone. I need to be able to explain to my doctor why my sugar was in the 200s or even 300s, or what caused my sugar to drop to 35 mg/dl (normal blood sugars should range from 72-140 mg/dl). Keeping notes on what caused those episodes puts perspective on the numbers and allows me to work with my doctor to come up with a better plan for managing my diabetes.

Another time being informed helped was when I was scheduled to have surgery on my thumb. As I was lying there waiting for the surgery to begin I spoke to the anesthesiologist who explained that on top of local anesthesia they would also be giving me medication to make me relax and not remember much of the surgery. Having become familiar with all types of sedatives and other medications when my son was in the hospital I asked him if he meant that they planned on giving me Versed. He said they were. Having done research on the drug (I researched every drug my son was given) and understanding its effects, I told the anesthesiologist that it was not necessary. It was a simple procedure, nothing traumatic I needed to forget, so I preferred to be totally conscious and aware and just have local anesthesia.


Those are specific examples in my life where information has been important, and they may not apply to other people. But, being informed about your health does apply to everyone. And it can be as simple as writing down your symptoms, or questions you have, to ask your doctor, to creating complex spreadsheets to monitor every aspect of your life. Keeping informed is your responsibility to yourself no matter how you chose to do it.

I know my body better than anybody else possibly could, but that isn't simply because it's my body, it's because I've taken the time to research, ask questions and understand the conditions and issues I have; to know what is, and what isn't, normal. When you are in tune with your body, know what is typical for you, and what is not (blood sugars, blood pressures, cholesterol levels, etc), that is power. Not being informed of your (or a loved ones') issues, conditions, or illness, is, in a sense, abdicating control. The point is, that when it comes to your health, you are your most ardent advocate. If you don't understand and stay informed about your body and your issues, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment